Miscellaneous Notes About the Eddyville Bridges
by Karl & Susan Wick and The Atkarton History Project archives
Prior to 1823 John H. Freer of Freerville ran a ferry across the Rondout
1823 First? attempt at constructing a bridge
1824 - Feb - 12 Letter to State Copmtroller re: delay in incorporation
1835 - Jun - 03 Plat Plan filed with Ulster County Clerk
1839 - Jan Bridge washed away in a freshet
1844 - Jul 04 Site Plan filed with Ulster County Clerk 165 feet long and 75 feet south of the old bridge
1854 - Sep - 09 Gleason's Pictoral Companion published a woodcut showing a town lattice style covered bridge from Eddyville to Freerville
1867 County Supervisors' minutes mentions an appropriation of funds for a new iton bridge at Eddyville
1869 "Great Flood"
1887 "Great Flood"
1910 - Jan A spring freshet washed the bridge off of its piers.
1912 - Winter The 'new' and much sturdier iron bridge was under construction.
1913 - "Early Winter" The new bridge was completed.
1954 The center supporting pier under the now "old" bridge was severely undermined. Fishermen reported seeing the entire pier rattle and shake when heavy trucks crossed the bridge.
1955 - Oct - 15/16 1955 a severe flood seriously damaged the southern peer. (KDF)
1959 - Jun - 08 At a cost of $736,000, a new single span bridge was opened.
2012 - Summer / Fall Repainting in red.
Images will eventually be added
Scan of the original letter
Best effort at translation.