The Saint Remy & Atkarton Railroad Co.

Incorporated January 2006 - Celebrating our Second Birthday

Building the Greenkill Burying Ground


1. The Space


  ?
    location
We needed a place for our cemetery.
The corner of the future city scene was ideal.
It would be the first detail seen when one entered the room.

2. The Build


  sketch
foam test  
Like all proper projects, this one needed a carefully crafted set of blueprints.
Cutting extruded polysyrene foam to approximate size
foam1
foam2
Glueing down the foam
The foam does NOT have to be perfect. It gets covered with structolite.
I used a product called structolite to create the landform. This product (AKA gypsolite) is a brown coat plaster containing peralite for grit and light weight. It is wonderful for sculpting landforms, particularly when the mix water is tinted with a small amount of latex paint. Scratches look like grey dirt - not white plaster.

You can also use plaster of paris, plaster cloth, ground goop or whatever other method you prefer.

After two days drying time, I painted the surface with my gerneric brown dirt paint made from a mix of two free gallons from my lumber supplier.

Onward to the backdrop ...

backdrop trunks
Oops, I forgot to photograph application of the plaster and ground paint.
First I scribbled some tree trunks on the backdrop using brown and grey.
  grave
2
While this was drying I dug a half finished grave to proper 8' x 3-1/2' scale size.
Next I added some greenery by dabbing with a 1" fan brush. Leave lots of blue showing through. trees are not solid objects.
3
4
Touchup with two more similar shades of green and better lower trunks.
(Washed out by flash). I added some ground foam bushes and lichen trees.
  5
testing placement  
Then an very old and broken stone wall.
Here I am testing placement of the mausoleums and tool shed.
road
grass
  I created the dirt road out of sifted sand from the prototype cemetery.
Then I added grass. Apply, adjust placement, wet with 70% isopropyl.
Glue with a careful dribble of diluted 1:4 matte medium. (it's still wet here).
trees
buildings
While the grass was drying, I added a few trees ...
... then the three buildings.
viniette
fence right
Michael the gravedigger and his assistant. The dirt is used coffee grounds and there is some at the bottom of the hole too. Fresh dirt is darker than dry dirt.
The fencing came next. The tombstones are not yet glued in place. Their exact location (and a few more) will be determined after the fence is complete.
fence2
gravestones1
The last section is ready to be glued into place.
After which come the monuments. The dress pins hold them upright (or nearly so - it's an old cemetery) while the glue dries.
gate
spectators
The main part of the scene is nearly complete.
Let's add a couple of neighborhood children supervising the work.
wet
hillside
The northwest corner of the graveyard has a spring and shallow brook.
Working on the slope. First paint earth color. Then pick out stone outcrops.
wet ink
dry ink
Apply a wash of 10% india ink in water.
After the ink has dried.
grass
rear
Wet with alcohol & diluted matte medium, then add grass. Bushes come next.
The view from the rear.





Almost overview

An overview image will be added to this page soon. We will also add a few very old and neglected stones across the tracks to show where the railroad displaced part of the graveyard.



Copyright © 2008 Karl Wick
Site Begun 30 May 2006