500,000,000 BC: A warm shallow sea covers this part of Ulster County
At about 20,000 year intervals: Ice ages interspersed with temperate times cover North America
10,000 BC: The last ice age ends. Horses and Mastodons roam the lower Hudson Valley.
10,000 BC: Paleo Indians wander eastward across the nation and then northward following the herds up the Shawangunk ridge. One loses a clovis point near Dashville. It is not found again for twelve thousand years.
8000BC to 1500BC: With warmer temperatures settled in, Hunter-Gather Indians begin to become more domestic.
1000BC: The Wallkill becomes a major thoroughfare.
1000BC - ca 1800AD: Woodland Indians, the Lenni Lenape or "Old Ones" occupy the Wallkill. valley.
800BC-100BC: Celts visit and occupy sites in New England.
1609 AD: Hendrick Hudson navigates the Hudson River in his sailing vessel the "Halve Moon".
1677: The New Paltz Patent is purchased from the Indians and approved by the Governor. The northern line falls between Dashville and Rifton. The Indians retain a tract called Ah Qua, holding Kintakoys (festivals) there.
1690-1704: Hendrick Smit arrives at Swartekill from Holland. He is to be an indentured servant to Jacob Rutsen in return for his passage.
1709-1715: Hendrick Smit obtains a life lease for 80 acres and builds his house. The house still stands on Church Hill Road.
Before 1724: Colonel Jacob Rusten, Jacob Aertse and Mattys & Nicholas Blasyan own land in the northern part of Swartekill.
1724: Arien Geeretse receives a deed to land near the confluence of the Wallkill and Rondout Kill.
Ca 1760: Johannes Hardenbergh, Jr. moves from Rosendale to Swartekill. His farm is built along the Swarte Kill. Sojourner Truth will later be born on this farm. Eventually a mill is built.
1776: The War of Independence begins.
1790: An old map shows sixteen families inhabiting the environs of Dashville.
|Ca 1796: Sojourner Truth Born on Johannis Hardenbergh Jr. Farm in Swartekill|
1810: The Hardenberghs sell water rights at Dashville to Ezekiel Eltinge.
1811: The Town of Esopus is formed
1800 - up: Two of the most prominent townsmen engaged in legal work and writing are Peter R. Decker, and Marinus V. Wheeler, of Swartekill and Dashville respectively.
1820: School district No.7 holds its first meeting.
Ca 1820: Perrine's Hotel is built.
1821: School house is built at a total cost of $100.
By 1822: Ezekiel Eltinge builds a grist mill. There is also a sawmill. Date of construction is unknown.
1824: Ezekiel Eltinge constructs a fulling and carding mill at Dashville.
1825: Dashville Falls founded by Thomas Butler. The village contains a cotton mill, a grist mill, a sawmill, and a fulling & carding mill.
Before 1827: Ebenezer Rider constructs a grist mill at Rifton falls.
1828: Rider grist mill sold to B. & J. Arnold who built a cotton mill near the island between Rifton and Dashville. (At Rifton Falls).
1830: Peter L. Hardenburgh (sic) applies for a tavern license at Perrine's Bridge.
1832: Thomas Butler constructs a cotton mill at Dashville.
1834: The Church at Dashville Falls is built at a cost of $1,462.38.
1835: The first powder mill is established below Buttermilk Falls by James Howe. The community of Saltpeterville is founded.
1842, April 12: Part of the Town of New Paltz annexed to the Town of Esopus. This includes the Dashville Area.
|Ca 1846: Perrine's Bridge is constructed, linking Perrinesville with Tillson.|
1846: J.W. Terry acquires the cotton mill of Thomas Butler.
1850: The Dashville cotton mill is closed.
1852: Ezekiel Elting family sells grist mill at Dashville to William Demarest.
1857: The Arnold brothers sell their cotton mill to Joseph Lockwood, it is later purchased by J.W. Ackerly.
1859: The Dashville Church ediface is repaired and the interior renovated at a cost of $800 .
1860: Jeremiah W. Dimmick Sr. arrives in Arnoldton, purchases lands and mills, then renames the area "Rifton Glen".
Civil War: Dimmick makes army blankets. The mill burns down and is rebuilt.
1862/3: The Rifton Hotel is constructed.
1864/5: The old stone school building is replaced with a red frame structure at a cost of $849.92 .
1865: The Dashville fulling and carding mill is purchased by Kaye Brothers and converted into a knife factory.
1865: Smith and Rand Powder Company files a map of their holdings in Town of Esopus.
1875: The Dashville Church parsonage is remodeled.
1878: The Rifton band is organized.
1888: March 12 "The Hardest snowstorm ever known in this part of the country."
|1888-1891: The "New Mill" is constructed at Buttermilk Falls. This area was named "New Rifton" and "The Lower Village".|
1891: The Dashville cotton mill (no longer in use) falls down.
1892: Methodist Church is constructed.
1894: Jan 06 7:40AM Rifton Powder Mill Explodes. Four dead.
1896: The Knife Factory at Dashville burns down.
1896: The Rifton Powder Mill explodes again. Five dead.
|1898: Saint Thomas Chapel at Rifton Glen of the "All Saints Church of Rosendale" is completed.|
1899: Dashville Reformed Church holds its first annual clambake.
Ca 1900: The name of New Rifton is shortened to just Rifton as population shifts northward.
1901: The Village of Rifton is incorporated.
ca 1903: Rifton Baseball team organized.
1906: The Rifton hotel burns down.
1915: The Dimmick carpet mills shut down.
Ca 1915: Rifton Baseball team disbanded.
1917: Perrine's Bridge undergoes $3000 worth of repairs.
Ca 1917: Dashville Church allegedly burned down. This is not true.
1919: Village of Rifton is officially dissolved by New York State Legislature.
1920: Central Hudson Gas & Electric Co. builds a hydroelectric plant at Dashville falls.
1923: Sturgeon Pool created by damming the Wallkill. Central Hudson builds a larger plant here.
1929: The beginning of the Great Depression
|1920s,30s: The finest prohibition applejack in the country is made at a series of stills in the environs of Rifton. Much of this product is exported to New York City. The best batches are kept for local use.|
Ca 1927: Dashville Church is torn down and sold to C. Tegar of Rifton to be used for an ice house.
1930: The Rte 32 bridge completed, motor traffic over Perrine's bridge ends.
1930: 4-H club and Drum corps. of Rifton organized.
1935: Perrine's Bridge gains historic landmake recognition from New York State.
1940: Perrine's Bridge gets new roof, planking and some timbers
1941: School District No.9 consolidated with School District No. 7.
1943: Rifton Fire Company organized.
1944: Mr. Tischhauser, the owner of the former Dimmick estate defaults on his mortgage. The property and eighteen buildings on the hill are auctioned off to Samuel Greenstein of Tillson.
1954: Mr Greenstein sells "Woodcrest" to the Society of Brothers
1954: A new two classroom school building is constructed next to the old one.
1959: School District No. 7 becomes part of the Kingston City Schools consolidated.
|1969, June 29: Major Restoration and Redication Of Perrine's Bridge|
1971: Anna Devine School is constructed. It is dedicated in 1972.
1993: Perrine's Bridge placed on National Historic Register.