Saint Remy, NY 1762-2000

Main Street 1900
Early History Houses Business Later History
Eddyville Bridge Fire Department Weather Location
Main Street 1900



Saint Remy Houses


Isaac Vanwagenen House 1745. The first known house in Saint Remy.

This old stone house bears the date '1745' and is the oldest known house in the Saint Remy area. Isaac migrated from Wagendal (now called Creek Locks) and built his farm in the Magurasinck Patent in the hills along the Rondout Creek. Isaac Van Wagenen House

Jan Van Aken House. The second known house in Saint Remy.

This old stone house bears the date '1762' and is the oldest known house in the hamlet itself. Jan migrated from the Port Ewen area and settled on the bank of the Rondout Creek about two miles north of Isaac Van Wagenen. The house was purchased by Abram Bruyn Hasbrouck in 1840. Mr. Hasbrouck was the Ulster County Historian and President of Rutgers University. He is responsible for the stone gateway on Main Street with the legend 'Saint Remy 1762'. Mr. Hasbrouck named the hamlet Saint Remy after a region in France. Jan Van Aken House

Benjamin Van Aken House ca 1760?

Little is known about this old house except that it is mentioned on maps and deeds predating the Revolutionary War. It is shown on maps as late as 1875. Many deeds dating from around 1805 call it 'the house of Benjamin Van Aken'. It was located one chain north of the Magurasinck Patent halfway between the Isaac Van Wagenen and Jan Van Aken houses. It may have been built concurrently with Jan's house, by his cousin Benjamin or earlier by Benjamin's father, Gideon. Benjamin Van Aken House

Another early Van Aken House - Bank House


A convoluted title search leads us to to 1816 and then to part of a large farm before 1804. The exact date of construction is unknown, but materials and techniques suggest that it may be post Revolutionary War. Some architectural elements suggest a far earlier date. This house may have been built from the remnants of an older structure. It was owned by a Benjamin VanAken in 1805, later by Jonas VanAken. Photo ca 1870 shows Martha Connelly. Third VanAken House

Lewis York farmhouse

The homestead of Lewis York and his descendants for over 135 years, this house was built around 1802 by William G. Freer, a son of Gerrit Freer of Port Ewen. It was purchased by Lewis York in 1860. The probable date of construction is from a french newspaper found lining one of the walls.
Lewis York house
This historic post and beam over stone house was torn down by the new owner in November 1999. We do not blame him for being unaware of the importance of history, but we do hold the Town of Esopus accountable for issuing a demolition permit with no thought to documenting the structure as it was razed. Shame on you town fathers. Chimney

Vanwagenen House 1810.

This house was built by a VanWagenen (possibly Lewis or Benjamin) in 1810 to replace an older home on the same property. It is located on the Isaac VanWagenen farm and has been nicely restored by Mr. Raymond Krom. Second Van Wagenen House

Saint Remy Bakery ca 1843

Built between 1833 nad 1841 probably by Samuel H. Deyo. Maps of 1858 and 1864 show this as 'grocery'. Owned by Abram Post in 1890s. Bakery

Mary Francis Haines House

This house was constructed ca 1845 by Jonas VanAken, probably to go along with the blacksmith shop adjacent to it. It was originally probably a four room house with a basement kitchen. The front part of the structure was added in 1872 by Samuel Clark. The north wing was added around 1895 by Mary Francis and Samuel Haines. It remained in the family until 1991 when it was purchased by the author. Photo 1906 Haines house

Blacksmith Shop

Constructed between 1832 and 1845 by Peter? VanAken, it was in continuous use until the mid 20th century. It's last owner was Samuel Haines Carman, the grandson of Samuel G. Haines. Photo ca 1900 Blacksmith Shop

The First Saint Remy Post Office

Also used as a store and barber shop, this building burned down in the early part of the 1900s. Photo ca 1900. Post Office

Cline & Wiletta Frost Residence

J. Cline and Willetta Frost in 1905 census. Said to have been built in 1865 (Unconfirmed). Photo ca 1906. Clyne Frost House

Hugo Siller Residence

Hugo Siller House Hugo Siller in 1905 census. Probably built around 1900. Photo ca 1906.

The William G. Freer House

Said to have been prior to 1850 by a Freer or a York. A title search has not yet been done. An 1875 map shows W.G. Freer, and the 1875 census shows William G. and Ann Freer. This house was owned by Mr. Frank Emberson during the second half of the 20th century. Photo 1922. Emberson House

Hilltop House 1870

Constructed by Captain Connelly for his son Arthur. Date of construction was handed down from owner to owner as 1870, we have proven its existance as far back as 1880. Photo ca 1900. Hilltop House

The Saint Remy Dancehall

This building which was used as a dancehall thoughout the early 1900's is now a three family apartment house. No Comment. Photo ca 1900. Dance Hall

Krom House next to the Saint Remy Church

Started in the late 1880s, this house was constructed in three parts. The last section dates to 1929. Krom House

Tracey Van Vliet Home

Photo Taken ca 1900. This house was the centerpiece of a productive fruit farm in the early 1900s. Van Vliet House

Lorenzo Terpening House

Possibly built by his father Oliver before 1860. Burned down in 1970s. Terpening House

Lawrence House

Located just north of Union Center Road on Main Street. Photo 1922. Accross from the William Freer House. Lawrence House.

Joshua Freer House - 1904

Located on Greenkill Road just in front of the Saint Remy Cemetary. Photo 1922. Joshua Freer House near cemetary. Photo 1922.

Luther Freer House


William Freer House

Located just north of Union Center Road on Main Street. Across from the Lawrence House

The Redmen's Hall ca 1900


Redmen's Hall

The Reformed Dutch Church of Saint Remy NY

Constructed in 1856 church

The Saint Remy School

Built between 1804 and 1822. Possibly in 1816 deed. school

Isaac Delamater / C. I. Freer House built ca 1745

A ancient mill house between Diamond's Pond and the Rondout Creek. The corner stone on the newer part of the stone structure says IDLM CIF 1765. The left hand part of the house is at least 20 years older and once had a jamless fireplace.
The author would be ecstatic to find a photo of the mill.
Delamater/Freer Mill house


Back to beginning




This page created and maintained by Karl Wick